Navigating Fault Accusations After a Car Accident: Expert Advice from Gunn Law Group
Experiencing a car accident can feel like your world is spinning out of control, requiring attention to physical well-being, vehicle damage, police involvement, and insurance matters. If the accident was not your fault, unexpected blame can complicate matters. Gunn Law Group, your personal injury experts, provides insights on why accusations may arise and crucial steps to protect yourself.
Following a car accident, insurance companies investigate to determine fault. In states like Georgia, partial fault is a possibility. If found less than 50% at fault, you are entitled to compensation for damages. However, insurance companies aim to minimize payouts for profit, leading to potential pressure to admit fault, even when undeserved.
Protecting Yourself from Accusations:
While you can’t control accusations, taking careful steps can safeguard your position and reduce the risk of false blame:
- Contact the Police:
- Inform authorities of accidents causing $1,000 or more in property damage or harm.
- Promptly contact the police to document the scene accurately.
- Timely reporting demonstrates your commitment to transparency.
- Collect Evidence:
- Stay on the scene if safe, documenting details.
- Take pictures of vehicles and surroundings.
- Speak with witnesses and record their statements.
- Note essential information, including the other driver’s details.
- Don’t Admit Fault:
- Resist pressure to admit fault, especially from the other driver or their insurance.
- Stick to your account of events and refrain from self-incrimination.
- Contact a Lawyer:
- Seek professional assistance from a car accident lawyer.
- A lawyer can help determine the facts and provide a robust defense.
- Having an experienced professional by your side ensures protection of your rights.
Hiring a Trustworthy Car Accident Attorney:
If wrongly accused of fault, enlisting the help of a car accident lawyer is crucial for securing the best possible outcome. Gunn Law Group understands the frustration of unwarranted accusations and is here to listen and advocate for you. Contact us today to begin the journey toward a fair resolution.